According to the Netcraft.com, there are over 100 million websites established in the world in November 2006. It is a 10 thousand times increase, mind you, compare to 10 years ago … 10 years ago, I could send a message via Gopher or Lynx (have you ever user / heard of it ?) to the world and someone in the net will answer me. Now, all of us are just a sand in the beach.
On the other hand, according to Alexa.com a couple of days ago, we are the world’s # 1000 web sites in terms of traffic rankings. In other words, we have only 999 web sites in front of us and around 100 million web sites behind us.
Of course all these are just “figures” and may not be true at all.
Not a small feast, but still, we all have to ask ourselves couple of key questions:
- Have we derived the best “business potential” from a site which is the top 1000 in the world, or one of the top two in the Travel industry ? If not, why not ?
- Or at least, is our day to day job can directly contribute to the business value of our web site / business ?
We all know that,
- We shall deliver projects on time and with quality, because every single day of delay means loss of revenue and opportunities to the company
- We shall design good web site, ad banners, and jump pages; because every visit to our site leaves an impression to our demanding customers
- We shall maintain our system with minimal downtime and maximum performance, because now customers expect a non-stop surfing experience
- We shall fix bugs and recover system errors as quick as possible, as every bug and downtime turn our customers away
- We shall handle every single phone call nicely, as our customers need help and many of them are in fact telephone orders. So try link all you do to the success of the company. The job no doubt is tough, but we win together, we loss together.
“For true success ask yourself these four questions: Why? Why not? Why not me? Why not now?” – James Allen