It’s really scary … I forgot how many times I upgraded my blog engine (you know from version 0.32 years ago to now version 1.2.1) but this time the installation procedure or myself screwed up. After upgrading the engine to the latest version last night, and ran the so-called “installation wizard”, all my blog posts were gone !! All disappeared … A dead website.
And because the upgrade is a minor one (from version 1.2.0 to 1.2.1), I did not backup the blog database before the upgrade … stupid me I suppose. All I got is a database backup in end March, even before the version 1.2.0. What could I do ?
- Install back the old version (version 1.1.6);
- Import the old data;
- Search the latest blog post in Google;
- From the result page, click the “Cached” link;
- Found the web page cached image (with the latest blog posts’ text and pictures), and
- Recreated all the blog posts from end March to mid April … one by one, from the Google image to the blog engine.
Now as you can see the site is back online … and Google saves the site.