If you know how to download Kindle books to your Kindle, then it is not difficult to update the Kindle software at all especially you can find the detail instructions in Amazon.com website (after sign into Amazon, select Kindle > Kindle Support > Kindle Software Update).
I upgraded mine but I found that there are one or two steps not the same as in the Amazon page, so here is my version of the steps (some important steps are boldfaced):
- First verify your current version with this steps – From your Kindle, click Home Key, Menu Key, select “Settings”, check the version in the bottom status bar. In my case it reads Version: Kindle 2.0 (29133xxxx).
- Since we are outside the wireless service area and therefore cannot receive the software update wirelessly, we need to download the latest software to our computer and transfer it to our Kindle via USB.
- Before the download, you have to check whether the latest version (2.0.3 as of May 2009) is available to you – as Amazon rolls out the software update to the Kindle users batch by batch. You can check that also from the Software Update page, scroll down and you shall see what software version is available for you to download. If it shows 2.0.2, then it’s not the latest version.
- Then in the same page, download the latest software – make sure you pick the Kindle (2nd generation) and the latest version is 2.0.3 (i.e. this is available to your device to upgrade).
- Follow the steps as in the Kindle software update page to connect the Kindle, transfer to Kindle, disconnect Kindle etc.
- With your Kindle, press the Home Key and then Menu Key, then select “Settings” from the Home menu.
- From Settings screen, press Menu Key again, select “Update Your Kindle”. Please note that this menu option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed.
- Select “Ok” when prompted if you want to perform an update.
- Next you will see system message and progress bar to report the update status. The Kindle will also reboot itself to bring back to the home page.
That is it. Press Home Key, Menu Key and “Settings”, you shall see the latest Kindle version in the status bar … in my case. Version: Kindle 2.0.3 (32761xxxx).