Different horses for different courses … all along I want to use my iPhone in three different places for totally distinct usages:
- Connect to a notebook computer, sync my iPhone but also house an USB hub and memory card reader;
- Connect to nothing, but iPhone as a loud music player in my small office;
- Connect to a mini-HiFi, my iPhone as the music and Internet radio source.
In other words, all I need is a multi-purposes devices – an iPhone dock that can connect to an AV amplifier but also a speaker, USB hub and a memory card reader. Of course, there is no such device and therefore I bought three docks to achieve this.
First is the Simplifi from Griffin Technology – It is a charge/sync dock, memory card reader, and USB hub. See the photos below for the look of it, it works perfectly and I am now using it with my notebook computer. It really is a space saver.
- Pros : Hi-speed USB link, all-in-one device, not expensive, match with MacBook nicely
- Cons : USB cable to connect to computer is not long enough
The second one is also from Griffin and it is a simple dock that also act like a mono-speaker – Griffin AirCurve Acoustic Amplifier for iPhone. The Aircurve, a cleverly-designed acoustic amplifier, is basically a coiled waveguide “horn’ that collects the sound from the built-in speaker of your iPhone and then amplifies it. Of course it is not a Bose speaker system, but it is good enough for my small office.
- Pros : Stylish, not expensive
- Cons : Not a small dock (check the pic), so-so quality loudspeaker (it is mono, after all), you also need to get your own iPhone cable to do the synchronization
Lastly, the Dexim AV Dock is similar to the Apple iPhone AV dock. It connects to my mini-HiFi and in turn to my LCD TV. Now with this AV dock, I can watch videos, view photos on my TV. And also I can play my iTunes music, Internet radio show thru the mini-HiFi.
- Pros : An cheaper alternative to the Apple dock / cable, easy to set up, stylish
- Cons : You need to turn the volume way up high to appreciate the music
Life is good.