Imagine the following scenario …
- You’re a stranger in a foreign land / airport;
- Your smartphone is out of juice or you don’t want to pay hefty data roaming fee;
- You cannot find a (free) WiFi hotspot for your laptop;
- And you need to answer some emails via Gmail.
Sounds familiar ? Now you can do that if you have a Kindle 2 (or Kindle 3), as long as you can live with some constraints. As many of you already know, there is a very simple browser come with the Kindle 2, and there is a mobile version of Gmail with minimal graphics. Therefore, it makes sense to use that simple browser to access the simple web application. The constraints and preparation works are:
- It works only for countries / cities that support by Amazon Kindle 2’s WhisperNet (the flip side of this is you don’t need to pay expensive data roaming fee to check emails !!)
- The screen of Kindle 2 is relative small;
- The keyboard of Kindle is hard to type;
- There is no scroll up and down function (you need to use Next Page and Prev Page keys);
- You cannot read / write double byte / Unicode characters;
- You will not able to attach files.
Still want to continue ? OK, let’s start, step-by-step :
- Turn on the wireless in your Kindle. Then go to “Home” / “Menu” / “Experimental”, and select “Basic Web”
- You will see the bookmark page, and “Menu” / “Enter URL”, and enter m.gmail.com
- You will see the basic login page and enter your Gmail account information.
- Somehow, Gmail will display the usual Gmail screen with all the mails which makes the screen very busy. I believe Gmail do this because they know that the request is not from a mobile device. Now, go to the URL bar on top, and enter m.gmail.com again !!
- Now you shall see the mobile Gmail email list page.
- Press “Next Page” key till you reach the last page, locate “Compose Mail” command …
- Enter the from address, to address, subject line and mail content. Add CC, or BCC if needed. Press “Send” and that’s it …
Don’t forget to “Sign out” (in the mobile Gmail page footer) before you turn off the Kindle !!