I use iPhone and Kindle 2 heavily and I also have iPod, MacBook etc. Even though I am not really a super fanboy of Apple … still, I thought a tablet from Apple is something I was waiting for, until I see the iPad today.
It’s thin, it’s beeeeautiful, and the user interface is certainly sleeeek. But wait, where are the new new things ? In fact,
- There is no phone – sure, I can make VOIP phone call … but why ?
- No camera – so no snapshots, no video phone conference / calls, no augmented reality applications,
- No multitasking – I cannot download videos while I am doing something else,
- No HDMI output – I cannot use it as the Youtube video station for my TV,
- No Flash support – I guess I have to wait for HTML 5 websites … but again, why ?
You know, I thought Apple would announce a super new way to browse magazines and newspaper with iPad that can save the publishing industry, but no, again probably need to wait for some super-duper iPad application to do that. So is the iBooks really better than Kindle for iPhone ? Who knows …
And seriously, how can you hold this device for hours to read a book (my Kindle 2 can easily do that, and the battery can last for two weeks) ? And how can you take this from your home to your office, or your frequent coffee shop without adding a cover / bag ?
So far, really, I can think of only one big big reason to get one … that is if I want to share my photos with my friends and family, on the road.
Video from Engadget.com.